Fivemiletown Goats Cheese Mousse, Roasted Jerusalem Artichoke, Roscoff Onion, William Pear with Pickled Walnuts.
A nice dish for the Autumn that can be served as a starter or sharing style dish.
Goats Cheese Mousse
500g Fivemiletown or any good quality soft Irish Goats Cheese
Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- Put the Goats cheese and honey in a mixing bowl with a paddle attachment and beat until
smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Alternatively, you may hand beat the cheese with a spatula.
- Whisk the cream until it reaches semi stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the goat’s cheese mix.
- Reserve in a piping bag.
10 Jerusalem Artichokes washed well skin on
200g Unsalted butter
Thyme and Rosemary, a few sprigs
- Place the butter in a pan with the herbs and turn on a medium heat.
- When the butter starts to foam add the artichokes to the pan and season with salt.
- Cook on a gentle to medium heat in the butter swirling the pan every few minutes.
- Let them cook for about 30 minutes or until the artichokes are soft in the middle.
- When they have cooled slightly cut them in half. Reserve the butter its full of flavour.
Roasted Roscoff Onion
4 Roscoff Onions sliced lengthways skin kept on (Any good quality onions may be used)
Thyme a few sprigs
- Heat a frying pan to a medium heat and coat the bottom with the oil.
- Season the cut side of the onions with salt and place cut side down in the pan.
- Add the thyme and fry on a medium heat for about 20-30 minutes until just softening.
- When the onions have cooled remove the skin and the string outer skin of the onion halves.
- Don’t worry if the onions are nice and black on the flesh side you can gently scrape the
- Cut in half lengthwise into nice sharp pieces.
Pickled Walnuts (Available from Fallon and Byrne)
1 Jar of opies Pickled Walnuts
Good quality extras virgin Olive Oil 100ml
- Remove the pickled walnuts from the jar and strain the juice and reserve.
- Slice the walnuts into thin pieces horizontally using a small knife.
- Keep them in a little of the pickle. They should be beautiful circles.
- Whisk together half the walnut pickle juice with the olive oil and keep as your dressing.
2 William Pears or any seasonal good quality sweet ripe pear.
- Take an apple corer and remove the core from the pear.
- Cut the pear in half and slice each half into nice thin pieces.
- Do this step right before you are ready to plate so they don’t oxidise.
To Plate the dish Pipe a generous amount of goat’s cheese mousse in the centre of each
Warm the onions and artichokes in a hot oven for 5 minutes with some of the artichoke
In a circle around the mousse place wedges of onion and artichoke one after the other.
Place 5-6 pieces of sliced pear nicely between the onions and artichokes.
Place 3-4 circles of Pickled walnut wherever you wish.
Shake the dressing or whisk again and pour a little over the dish not too much as it is strong.